[R] Constructing lists (yet, again)

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:19:47 CEST 2009

This is an attempt to rescue an old R-help question that apparently
received
no response from the oblivion of collective silence, and besides I'm
also
curious about the answer

> From: Griffith Feeney (gfeeney at hawaii.edu)
> Date: Fri 28 Jan 2000 - 07:48:45 EST   wrote (to R-help)
> Constructing lists with
>
> list(name1=name1, name2=name2, ...)
>
> is tedious when there are many objects and names are long. Is there
> an R
> function that takes a character vector of object names as an
> argument and
> returns a list with each objected tagged by its name?

The idiom

	lapply(ls(pat = "^name"), function(x) eval(as.name(x)))

makes the list, but (ironically)  doesn't assign the names to the
components.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801