[R] Adjusting x/y text labels for a bwplot using cex.lab

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 02:29:47 CEST 2009

You probably missed the bit in the lattice documentation which says that
few if any of the standard par() parameters work on lattice. lattice
uses its own system.

Look at the xyplot help page and seek out the scales argument. That
tells you that scales is a list, optionally with x and y components,
that controls the axis appearance. The bit you probably want is the cex
component of that.

Using one of the simpler examples from ?xyplot, this looks like:
xyplot(decrease ~ treatment, OrchardSprays, groups = rowpos,
       type = "a",
       auto.key = list(space = "right", points = FALSE, lines = TRUE),
       scales=list(x=list(cex=1.5))) #specifies bigger text on the
x-axis

Steve E

>>> mcobb_berkeley <mccrea.cobb at gmail.com> 07/21/09 10:10 PM >>>

Searched for this and found some help, but I still can't figure it out.

I have trying to enlarge the x and y labels on my box plot.  I
understand
that you can do this using "cex.lab", but it does not seem to be working
for
me.  I must be adding it in the wrong spot.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Here is my code:

bwplot(hr~Herd, data=telemetry, notch=T, ylab="Home Range Area (ha)",
xlab="Herd",
par.settings = list(plot.symbol = list(col = "black"),box.umbrella =
list(col ="black"), box.rectangle=list(col="black")),fill="light blue")

~McCrea