[R] how to change the "quantile" method in bwplot

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:20:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Jun Shen<jun.shen.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> Uwe,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I am still not very clear about the meanings of
> the arguments in the stats function.   To make it clearer, quantile() uses
> type=7 as default method. I believe this is the method bwplot() uses to
> calculate the quantiles. I want to use type=6 method for bwplot(). How do I
> achieve that? Thanks again.

Maybe this will be clearer: bwplot() uses the boxplot.stats() function
to compute the "quantiles" used, which in turn uses fivenum(), which
has its own quantile calculation (and does not explicitly use
quantile()). There is no easy way to allow for type=6 etc. here.

bwplot() allows you to replace boxplot.stats() and provide your own
alternative. So what you need to do is:

(1) write a function, say, 'my.boxpot.stats', that takes the same
arguments as boxplot.stats() and returns a similar result, but using
your preferred calculation for the quantiles. There are many ways to
do this.

(2) plug in this function into the bwplot() call; e.g. bwplot(...,
stats = my.boxplot.stats)

-Deepayan