[R] Error installing package sna

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Jul 20 13:58:47 CEST 2009

Greenerpole wrote:
> Dear R-users,
>
> These days, I have been struggling to install the package sna on my Ubuntu
> 8.04 laptop. My R version is currently R 2.7.2. And I had no trouble
> installing any other packages (including network).
>
> However when I run 'install.packages("sna")', compilation of C codes is ok,
> but a syntax error is reported when building help pages and sna does not
> want to install.
>
> I copied the log (just the part about help pages) at the end of this post.

I guess (untested) this one is related to the new Rd format and Rd
parser which means that R-2.7.2 is too outdated to install a more recent
version of the package. Please upgrade to R-2.9.1.

CCing the package maintainer who should either
a) fix the package for R < 2.9.0 or
b) declare R>=2.9.0 in the Depends field of the DESCRIPTION file

given my guess is right.

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges