[R] Entire Organization Switching from SAS to R - Any experience?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jul 17 20:00:18 CEST 2009

We use SAS and R here (a biostat department and consulting unit), in
part because there are some things SAS does that R doesn't.  In
particular, we use SAS proc nlmixed with custom likelihood functions.  R
has similar capability but does not allow custom likelihood; the authors
say adding it would be non-trivial.

I don't know how common such absolute barriers are, but they would be
one thing to watch for.  As others have noted, datasets too big too fit
in memory are difficult in R (though the 3G barrier only applies to 32
bit hardware).

If you have "customers" who themselves do data analysis, they may also
resist change.

I would think switching from SAS to R is a pretty big deal; it would
probably be easier if you did not need to switch existing projects.  Of
course, that still leaves you paying some license fees.  But the switch
will have substantial short-term costs in time, if not money, even if
users are motivated.

Ross Boylan