[R] Entire Organization Switching from SAS to R - Any experience?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jul 17 19:27:45 CEST 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Kelvin Lam wrote:

> I should elaborate the situation a bit more.  We store our data in
> UNIX and
> have been using UNIX SAS for our work.  My Biostat dept has 40 SAS
> users
> from which at most 10 also use R.  The Epi/Grad Students/Investigators
> combine for another 30-40 not-so-frequent SAS users let alone R.  So
> we are
> talking about 80 folks/workhorses in the entire institute.
>
> One of my thoughts is to break up the Biostat group into two so that
> one
> uses R solely to reduce the number of licences.   IMHO, the pro is
> to worry
> a smaller group of users.  However, the cons will be who to be
> assigned to
> respective group.

You have several business, human behavior and budgetary issues to
consider. It is not usually just a matter of making the business case
that saving annual license costs is the sole factor in making a
decision to switch to R.

You have to consider the receptivity of the existing base of SAS users
to changing to R. Are they open to it or are they not motivated to
change? In the latter case, is the organization in a position of
forcing change or not? Being a non-profit organization, you can simply
say, due to funding issues, we are going to have to eliminate some 'x'
number of SAS licenses to stay within our operating budget. That will
have an impact on how many users can in fact continue to use SAS.

However, if you compel wholesale change, are you at risk of losing
people who are resistant and decide to move on? Are they key people
where their loss would have substantive impact on the organization and
project commitments, at least in the short term? Yes, on one level, we
can all be replaced by somebody else, but at what short term cost to
the organization and it's customers?

If there is resistance amongst some proportion of the staff, an
incremental approach would be very appropriate. Balance your funding
issues with the number of staff that would be impacted in the near
term. Can you eliminate 'x' SAS licenses this year, 'y' more next year
and so on so that the transition is implemented over a multi year time
frame while still working within your funding constraints?

Solicit feedback from the staff to see who is open to using R and who
is not. Let that be a key factor in any decisions to partition the
staff. Get an idea as to the scale of the battle that you are facing
with respect to change. Identify the "low hanging fruit" to look for
incremental and consistent wins that you can build on. Those who are
resistant to R may simply need time to see that what they have done in
SAS can indeed be done in R with greater quality, speed, flexibility
and in time, at a lower cost. Once they get over that hurdle, they may
come on board with you and make subsequent transitions easier.

With an eye towards the future, be sure that new hires are skilled in
R, so that as you may need to deal with staff turnover or growth, you
are enabling the future use of R by a growing number of folks who have
pre-existing R skills. Set yourself up for future success.

Consider R related training and the costs associated with it. The
costs are not just what you may have to pay for training, but the
opportunity costs in the short term of getting people up to speed and
the loss of productivity short term, even though as Frank noted, you
will realize notable gains in the long term. Consider how your
existing project commitments would be impacted and how you may have to
allocate or re-allocate the workload during the transition.

Consider the costs and timelines associated with converting an
existing base of SAS code that has perhaps gone through a review and
validation process. What will it take to replicate that functionality
in R with the same level of reliability? What methodological issues
will you face in the transition from SAS to R, given the differing
philosophies? How long will it take, who will do it and what other
tasks or projects may be impacted during the transition?

In some environments (eg. Big Pharma), re-training and especially code
conversion/validation costs alone outweigh the savings of not paying
for SAS licenses. This is why there is a significant hurdle to using R
in that environment even though such companies may pay SAS millions of
dollars per year.

I don't know that there is a one size fits all approach to moving from
SAS to R. Each operating environment has its own characteristics
relative to budgets, politics, people and so forth. The points that I
raise above may be typical but only some may apply to your situation
and there may be others that I have not raised.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz