[R] Package norm has been removed. What to use for Maximum L

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 14:54:48 CEST 2009

Follow-up:

On 17-Jul-09 12:38:27, Ted Harding wrote:
> On a point of information: The licence in question:
>
> License: The software may be distributed free of charge and used
>          by anyone if credit is given. It has been tested fairly
>          well, but it comes with no guarantees and the authors
>          assume no liability for its use or misuse.
>
> is verbatim from Joe Shafer's original licence for his NORM.
> He used exactly the same wording for his packages CAT, MIX and PAN.
> These were originally written in S, with FORTRAN code for many of
> the functions. The various people who have ported these to R have
> simply copied these words into the R packages. See (if you have
> the packages installed)
>   library(help=cat)
>   library(help=norm)
>   library)help=mix)
>
> I may have some comments about this "removed from CRAN" issue later,
> but I need to think about them first ...
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

While Joe Shafer's MI software web page

  http://www.stat.psu.edu/~jls/misoftwa.html

as cited in the R help pages, still exists (though apparently still
dating from 1999), only the Windows versions of NORM, CAT, MIX and PAN
are still accessible. The link to the Unix versions:

"S-PLUS for Unix:"  http://www.stat.psu.edu/~jls/splunix.html

no longer leads anywhere (though it still did only a few years ago).
I don't know whether it has been moved, and can be found elsewhere,
ot whether Shafer has withdrawn it.

The Windows versions would be compiled code. The Unix versions were
source code and needed to be compiled. If Shafer has withdrawn the
source-code versions, this might have implications for use (these
underlie the S-Plus "missing" library).

Does anyone have information about this?
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 17-Jul-09                                       Time: 13:54:45