[R] How do I know where is R? - VB Programming

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:46:09 CEST 2009

This works on Linux (at least under bash shell) and also on Windows
Vista and presumably earlier versions of Windows as well:

R --vanilla --slave -e "R.home()"

but the R part at the beginning does have the problem that it
only works if R is on your path.

If, on Windows, you normally double click the R icon on your
desktop or use the R utilities in the batchfiles distribution
there would be no need to have R on your path.  The batchfiles
utilities use the registry, and failing that heuristics, to locate R.