[R] Help needed in identifying type of plot

Girish A.R. garamach at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:20:19 CEST 2009

Thanks, Chris and Thierry! I think I can explore both your solutions.

best,
-Girish

It is a plot with pointranges. Here is an example with the ggplot2
package

library(ggplot2)
#use the diamond data set from ggplot2
diamonds$A <- diamonds$depth < 60
dmod <- lm(price ~ cut * A, data=diamonds)
cuts <- unique(diamonds[, c("cut", "A")])
cuts <- cbind(cuts, predict(dmod, cuts, se=T)[c("fit","se.fit")])

#the actual plot
ggplot(cuts, aes(x = cut, y = fit, ymin = fit - se.fit, ymax=fit +
se.fit, colour = factor(A))) + geom_pointrange(position =
position_dodge(width = 0.2)) + coord_flip()

More details on the ggplot2 website: http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey