[R] .RData signature

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jul 14 12:51:53 CEST 2009

stephenb wrote:
> any ideas? has anybody tried to recover RData files before?

I have seen messages about that problem here before (see
RSiteSearch(".RData corrupted") for a sampling), but I don't think I've
seen any really satisfactory solutions.  It would be nice to have an
error tolerant .RData dumper:  it would load and display objects until
it hit an error, then report on the error, and perhaps partial
information on the object it was loading.  With something like that
you'd know if you had successfully recovered the .RData file, and if
not, would have some hints about what was missing.

The source for the regular loader is in
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/main/serialize.c, and this could
be a start for the dumper.

Duncan Murdoch