[R] Adaptive kernel density was ... Fw: (no subject)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 21:56:24 CEST 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, maram salem wrote:

> Dear group,
> Thank u so much 4 ur help. I've tried the link,
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/quantreg/html/akj.html
>
> for adaptive kernel density estimation.
> But since I'm an R beginer and the topic of adaptive estimation is
> new for me, i still can't figure out some of the arguments of
> akj(x, z =, p =, h = -1, alpha = 0.5, kappa = 0.9, iker1 = 0)
> I've a vector of 1000 values (my X), but I don't know how to get the Z

That does seem rather trivial. According to the help page, those are
just the points at which the density should be estimated. The example
in the help page shows you how to create a suitable vector.

> and what's Kappa?

Not so obvious. Experimentation shows that reducing kappa makes the
estimates less smooth.

> I'm sorry if the question is trivial but I hope u could recommend
> some refrence if u know one.

Koenker gives two references and apparently you have some other
material you are reading. Your university should have access to the
Project Euclid Annals of Statistics copies that are found with the
obvious Google search strategy.  Maybe you should be questioning the
overall strategy of using a function you don't understand. Why, for
instance, do you even have an interest in this function?

> Thank u so much again
> Maram

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories