[R] How to: initialize, setValidity, copy-constructor

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Jul 10 16:05:04 CEST 2009

Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The technique of writing constructors prevent from using simply the
> 'new' function (which I find nice as it takes the class to construct as
> a character string (useful in my project) and provides a single
> interface for object creation).
> So doesn't the built-in schema of initialize-validate automatic calls
> make itself unusable in practice (my use-case is quite standard)?

No; for instance the Bioconductor project has hundreds of packages many
of which use S4, and Matrix has an extensive S4 class hierarchy.

For your scenario either of the following initialize methods work, and
differ depending on how much you want to assume about the underlying
class. There are likely many other solutions, too.

## pattern: create valid slots before callNextMethod
setMethod('initialize', 'B',
          function(.Object, ..., a=numeric(), b=a) {
              callNextMethod(.Object, ..., a=a, b=b)
          })

## pattern: instantiate base class before callNextMethod
setMethod('initialize', 'B',
          function(.Object, ..., b) {
              aObj <- new("A", ...)
              if (missing(b))
                  b <- aObj at a
              callNextMethod(.Object, aObj, b=b)
          })

The tricky part of your use case is the inter-class constraint implied
by slot b having the same dimensions as slot a.

Martin

> [...]
>> Hi Renaud --
>>
>> Renaud Gaujoux <renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za> writes:
>>

>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I'm having troubles setting up a basic calss hierarchy with S4.
>>> Here is a simplified schema of what I'd like to do:
>>>
>>> - Two classes: A and B that extends A
>>> - Ensure that the slots added by B are consistent with the slots of A
>>> - Let A initialize itself (I'm not supposed to know the internal
>>>   cooking of A)
>>> - By default set the slots of B based on the slots that A initialized
>>>
>>> Another question is: what is the recommended way of implementing a
>>> copy-constructor in R?
>>>
>>> I know that all of this is easily done in C++. The constructor of each
>>> class is called recursively back-up to the root class. Validity checks
>>> can be performed after/during associated
>>> initialization. Copy-constructor are basics in C++.
>>>
>>> Here below is a piece of code that I thought would work (but it does
>>> not... therefore my post), what's wrong with it?
>>> I think the main issue is when is the validity check performed: why is
>>> it performed before the end of the initialize method?
>>>

>> loosely, new("B", ...) calls initialize(prototypeOfB, ...).
>> initialize,B-method uses callNextMethod(), so initialize,A-method sees
>> as .Object the value prototypeOfB.  If initialize,A-method is
>> well-behaved, it'll call initialize,ANY-method, which also sees
>> prototypeOfB. You'll see that, when the ... argument is not empty
>>
>>   getMethod(initialize, "ANY")
>>
>> eventually calls validObject, in this case on prototypeOfB. Hence what
>> you are seeing, an 'early' check on the validity of B.
>>
>> There are many creative ways around this in initialize,B-method, e.g.,
>> assigning B slots before callNextMethod(), or explicitly creating a
>> new instance of A from appropriate supplied arguments (in
>> initialize,B-method, name arguments meant to initialize B slots and
>> pass ... to the A constructor) and using that to initialize B, etc.
>>
>> The approach I find most palatable (not meant to be real code) is to
>> have a constructor
>>
>>   B <- function(x, y, z, ...) {
>>      # do all the work to map x, y, z into slots of A, B (or an
>>      # instance of A and slots of B), then...
>>      new("B", a=, b=, ...) # or new("B", instanceOfA, b=, ...)
>>   }
>>
>> and avoid writing explicit initialize methods.
>> Oddly enough, this solution leads to a copy constructor, viz.,
>>
>>   initialize(instanceOfB, b=)
>>
>> I'm not sure that this really does anything more than move the
>> 'pattern' from the initialize method to the constructor.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>>> Thank you for your help.
>>> Renaud
>>>
>>> # define class A with a single numeric slot
>>> setClass('A', representation(a='numeric'))
>>>
>>> # define class B that extends class A, adding another numeric slot
>>> setClass('B', representation('A', b='numeric'))
>>> # we want for example to ensure that slots a and b have the same length
>>> function(object){
>>> cat("*** B::validate ***\n")
>>> print(object)
>>> cat("*****************\n")
>>> if( length(object at a) != length(object at b) ) return('Inconsistent
>>> lengths')
>>> TRUE
>>> }
>>> )
>>> # As a default behaviour if b is not provided, we want slot b to be
>>>   equal to slot a
>>> setMethod('initialize', 'B',
>>> function(.Object, b, ...){
>>> cat("*** B::initialize ***\n")
>>> print(.Object)
>>>
>>> # Let the superclass (A) initialize itself via callNextMethod
>>> # I thought it would only do that: initialize and optionnaly validate
>>>   the class A part of the object
>>> #But it generates an ERROR: apparently it calls the validation method
>>> of B,
>>> # before leaving me a chance to set slot b to a valid value
>>> .Object <- callNextMethod(.Object, ...)
>>>
>>> # now deal with the class B part of the object
>>> cat("*** Test missing b ***\n")
>>> if( missing(b) ){