[R] Fitting power laws to size distribution data

Gough Lauren lgxlg1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 11:20:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have several datasets recording the size of individuals shrubs.  I
would like to test various distribution functions to see which fits my
data most closely.  So far I have used the fitdistr tool in the MASS
package to get the parameter estimates for the best-fit lognormal,
exponential and two-paramater Weibull functions.  I have compared the
fit of these functions using AIC.

I would also like to fit a power function of the form f(D) = kD(^-r)
(this is the form most of the relevant literature uses) obtaining
estimates of the exponent (r).  However, the power function does not
appear to be supported by fitdistr.

I have searched the forums and the internet and found a few ways of
fitting power functions, but having run them they are giving me wildly
different exponent estimates.

Can anyone suggest a relaible way of fitting power functions?

Many thanks

Lauren