[R] Compiling R-2.9.1 on Mac OS X 10.4

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 9 20:56:14 CEST 2009

I used to build from source on Mac OS X, but I stopped when I found I
could do everything I needed to do from the binary on CRAN. That
includes building my own packages that use fortran, or building the
one or two CRAN packages that use C code and do not have Mac binaries
on CRAN.

In addition to which, if you were to install the Mac binary from
CRAN, there's an optional install of gcc, and that might even be an
easier way to get a gcc on your machine. You can still build R from
sources separately, even if you've already installed the binary.

For further help on building from source, I'd suggest asking again on
R-sig-Mac.

-Don