[R] R-help Digest, Vol 77, Issue 9

Bengoechea Bartolomé Enrique (SIES 73) enrique.bengoechea at credit-suisse.com
Thu Jul 9 12:37:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

This may be due to several reasons. That I can think about:

1) Ensure you close *all* possibly open workbooks:

	nBooks <- xl[["Workbooks"]]$Count();
	for (i in seq_len(nBooks))
		xl[["Workbooks"]]$item(i)$Close(SaveChanges=FALSE);

2) The excel application reference does not seem to be really released until the garbage collector runs. So this may help:

	xl$Quit();
	xl <- NULL;
	gc();

3) Ensure you don't have any "hanging" reference to the excel application (sometimes from previous runs of your code that failed). If your code is inside a function, wrap the code in point 1 and 2 on an on.exit() call to ensure that excel is properly closed each time.

Hope this helps.

Enrique