[R] Comparing GAMMs

Paul Simonin paul.simonin at uvm.edu
Wed Jul 8 17:24:31 CEST 2009

Greetings!
  I am looking for advice regarding the best way to compare GAMMs. I
know other model outputs return enough information for R's AIC, ANOVA,
etc. commands to function, but this is not the case with GAMM unless one
specifies the gam or lme portion. I know these parts of the gamm contain
items that will facilitate comparisons between gamms. Is it correct to
simply use these values for this purpose? For example, the lme portion
of the gamm returns a log liklihood value that could be used to
calculate information criteria. However, I am wondering whether entire
gamms be compared using this, or only the lme part.
  Maybe my thinking about the lme and gam portions of gamms is
incorrect? If this appears to be the case, let me know! In general, if
someone could clarify my understanding in any way it would be much
appreciated.
Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Paul Simonin