[R] R TERMINAL Vs R GUI

vinay_rk radhakrishna.pendyala at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 05:43:18 CEST 2009

Hi

I send commands to R using an IDE. Configured a few hotkeys to send the
commands to R. I am using Tinn-R and it has options to open a RGUI or RTerm.

My datasets are in the range of 600 MB - 2GB and I generally use scan() or
filehash to work on such data sets. However there are times when I read the
entire dataset in to R. Obviously it  eats up a lot of memory and I am aware
of it. However what I have noticed is , if I keep performing operations , I
get a message that "cannot allocate vector of XYZ MB"  in RGUI.  However R
Term doesn't crib that often.

This is just my observation after running very many scripts that RTERM is
faster than RGUI. I was wondering whether this observation is a correct one
or not ? Anyways after seeing the speed of ops in Rterm, I no longer use
RGUI ... I cannot explain the rationale based on any R specific reason..I
have just found over a period of time that RTerm works faster...Yes, I do
loose out on some of the menu driven functions that RGUI provides...

So, just to reiterate my basic question, Have members in this forum found
any difference in speeds while working with RTerm Vs RGui? Or Do you all
think speeds should be the same and I am seeing some random behavior which
has nothing with to do with R ?

Regards
Vinay