[R] fix() and edit() not working with Rcmdr and german LANG-variable

Jannis Vajen jvajen at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:51:03 CEST 2009

Dear Mailinglist,

I just set up an R 2.9.1 environment with Rcmdr 1.4-6 on Ubuntu Jaunty
9.04. As I'm from Germany my $LANG variable is set to "de_DE.UTF-8".
Now, when I open up Rcmdr and try to edit a new datamatrix there is no
edit window appearing:

Datenmatrix <- edit(as.data.frame(NULL))
ERROR:  invalid device

In addition, there are plenty of warning messages in the terminal window:

[...]
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Warning: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
[...]

When I click on the "view data set" button a window appears but instead
of a datamatrix it shows the following content :

structure.1L...Label....Error.in.dataentry.datalist..modes....invalid.device.n...class....factor..
Error in dataentry(datalist, modes) : invalid device\n

Another click on "edit data set" results into RCommander segfaulting:

Selection:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The best part is that when I run R with the following command
> LANG=en_EN.UTF-8 R
everything works as expected. I am able to enter a new data set, edit
and view it, except that there are still some error x11 protocol error
messages in the terminal window but as I read in other postings to this
mailing list this is relatively normal.

Do you have any hint on what could cause this abnormal behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
Jannis Vajen

PS: some infos about my system:

> version
platform       i486-pc-linux-gnu
arch           i486
os             linux-gnu
system         i486, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          9.1
year           2009
month          06
day            26
svn rev        48839
language       R
version.string R version 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)

> uname -a
Linux laptop 2.6.30-10-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 22 16:30:39 UTC
2009 i686 GNU/Linux