[R] mapping states with colors

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Jul 3 11:14:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

You could have a look at the sp-package, it provides R-classes for
spatial data. In addition, it also provides very nice plotting
facilities. To read your data into these sp classes you can use the
rgdal package. There is also an R mailing list specifically for
geographic data (r-sig-geo) which might be a more suitable place to get
good replies.

cheers,
Paul

Donald Braman wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm just learning how to use maps.  As an initial foray, I'm mapping the
> states that have "duty to retreat" (blue) and "stand your ground" (red)
> self-defense standards.  Here is my extremely naive script:
>
> dtr <- c('alabama', 'arizona', 'conneticut', 'delaware', 'dist of columbia'
> , 'hawaii', 'maryland', 'massachusetts', 'minnesota', 'missouri', 'nebraska'
> , 'new hampshire', 'new jersey', 'new mexico', 'new york', 'north carolina'
> , 'north dakota', 'ohio', 'pennsylvania', 'rhode island', 'virginia',
> 'wyoming', 'arkansas', 'vermont')
>

> syg <-  c( 'alaska', 'california', 'colorado', 'florida', 'georgia', 'idaho'
> , 'illinois', 'indiana', 'iowa', 'kansas', 'kentucky', 'louisiana', 'maine'
> , 'michigan', 'mississippi', 'montana', 'nevada', 'oklahoma', 'oregon', 'south
> carolina', 'south dakota', 'tennessee', 'texas', 'utah', 'washington', 'west
> va', 'wisconsin')
>

> map('state', proj='bonne', param=50,
>
> region = c(syg, dtr),
>
> fill=TRUE,
>
> col=c('red', 'blue'))
>
> Obviously that doesn't work.  A couple questions:
>
> 1. How do I get Alaska & Hawaii on the map?
> 2. How to I set the col atttribute for a subset of the states I'm mapping?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Don
>
> Donald Braman
> http://www.culturalcognition.net