[R] Question about <<- assignment

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 2 13:02:45 CEST 2009

On 01/07/2009 9:34 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
> On 2/07/2009, at 12:20 PM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang wrote:
>
>> Is this expected behavior?
>>
>>> z <- 1:5
>>> z[1] <<- 0
>> Error in z[1] <<- 0 : object "z" not found
>>
>> The documentation seems to suggest that z will be found in the global
>> environment and modified accordingly.
>
> I would agree that the documentation would *suggest* that, but it
> doesn't explicitly say it, and no more it should, since the "[<<-"
> operator does not exist.  Unlike the "[<-" operator which does exist.
>
> Moreover there is little reason for a "[<<-" operator to exist.
>
> The basic raison-d'etre for the "<<-" operator is to allow one to
> assign objects in the global environment from within a function.
> But you shouldn't do it, even though it is possible!!!

No, I'd say that's an unfortunate compromise.  The real use is for
nested evaluation:  a little worker function defined within a bigger
function needs to access the parent's variables for reading (no problem,
lexical scope gives that) and writing (that's what <<- is for).

So what to do when the target of <<- doesn't exist?  I'd say a better
solution than we have is for it to fail, rather than assign in the
global environment.

Duncan Murdoch