[R] Spatial Statistics on Grids

Peter Biber Peter.Biber at lrz.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Jul 2 11:50:36 CEST 2009

Thanks again David,

I apologize for not getting back to you immediately.

I do not want to cost too much of your time, but if it's ok for you, I will
try to clarify what I'm looking for:

Yes, I'm not looking for density estimates. I need to characterize spatial
_patterns_ of objects distributed across an area (I'm aware that the use of
the term 'distribution' is somewhat ambiguous in this context, sorry). In my
case, I do not know the exact position of the objects, I just know, if this
type of object is located on a certain grid cell or not. Thus, I want to
analyse the spatial pattern of the grid cells containing the objects.

What I'm looking for is very closely related to what can be found in the
CRAN Task View 'Analysis of Spatial Data' under the topic 'Point pattern
analysis' or to the package 'MarkedPointProcess'. Actually, years ago, when
I wasn't aware of R, I implemented similar things in PASCAL and C++.

And yes, I absolutely agree with your line of thought, that my current
problem (having grid cells, not points) would be solved with point-based
methods, if the cell size would be small enough compared to the spatial
scale of interest. However that's not the case and the facts play a role,
that cell midpoints have a minimum distance which is, in addition, different
for edge-to-edge-neighbours and corner-to-corner-neighbours (e.g. in a grid
with quadratic cells).

Maybe, some of the packages mentioned above contain convenient methods for
that, too. However I didn't find any clue about that. That's why I posted my
question to r-help.

Maybe I should post my question better to R-sig-Geo (as proposed by Don
McQueen) or R-sig-ecology.

What do you think?

Best regards
Peter