[R] paste together object names to pass it on to a function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 19:54:57 CET 2009

Perhaps this will help:

#Data Example
gnuff<-list()
gnuff$IHD$LE<-66
gnuff$LUNG$LE <-55

#This is the list, where I collect data for different diseases at the
#second level of the list
#Now I want to do calcualtions just for these two diseases and the
#sub-list "LE" within these diseases

nam <- c("LUNG","IHD")

for(i in nam) print(gnuff[[i]])  # use the elements of nam as the
index values

# the lack of output from an evaluation done within the for-loop might
be one of Burns' Infernal examples.
# here's see one of my "mistakes":   for(i in nam) (gnuff[[i]])
#---returns a list---
#$LE
#[1] 55

#$LE
#[1] 66

#---
  for(i in nam) print(gnuff[[i]]$LE)  #use list extraction to get the
values
#[1] 55
#[1] 66