[R] Q about how to use Anova.mlm

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 30 03:42:56 CET 2009

Dear Paul,

I noticed a typo in my response and some poor formatting in the email
message; please see below:

On
> Behalf Of John Fox
> Sent: January-29-09 9:23 PM
> To: 'pgseye'
> Cc: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] Q about how to use Anova.mlm
>
> Dear Paul,
>
> First, to fit a multivariate linear model to your data, you'll have to
> rearrange the data from "long" format (with one observation per replicate)
> to "wide" format (with one observation per subject). If your data are in
the
> data frame Data, then you'd do something like:
>
> Wide <- reshape(Data, v.names="Angle", idvar="Subject",
timevar="Replicate",
> direction="wide")
>
> Then, with the data in wide format, fit a multivariate linear model with
> just a constant:
>
> mod <- lm(cbind(Angle.1, Angle.2, Angle.3, Angle.4, Angle.5, Angle.6) ~ 1,
> data=DavisThin)

The data argument should be data=Wide (I adapted the code from an example I
already had and neglected to change the argument).

> Finally, use Anova() to get the tests:
>
> idata <- data.frame(Replicate=c("Angle.1", "Angle.2", "Angle.3",
"Angle.4",
> "Angle.5", "Angle.6"))
> summary(Anova(mod, idata=idata, idesign=~Replicate))

Note that this is indeed two separate commands; they were apparently run
together by my mailer.

Regards,
 John