[R] How do I get my IT department to "bless" R?

Daniel Viar dan.viar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:29:24 CET 2009

I currently use R at work "under the radar", but there's a chance I
could loose that access.  I'd like to get our company to feel
comfortable with open source and R in particular.  Does anyone have
any experience with their company's IT department and management that
they would be willing to share?  How does one get an all Microsoft
shop on board with allowing users to user R?  I know about the recent
NY Times article and recent news.  I'm afraid I may need some case
studies or examples of what other companies have done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan Viar
Chesapeake, VA