[R] Power analysis for MANOVA?

Adam D. I. Kramer adik at ilovebacon.org
Thu Jan 29 23:05:02 CET 2009

Thanks for the response, Stephan.

Really, I am trying to say, "My result is insignificant, my effect sizes are
tiny, you may want to consider the possibility that there really are no
meaningful differences." Computing post-hoc power makes a bit stronger of a
claim in this setting.

My real goal in this case was to put a single line on a poster that says,
"Significance using our estimates would require N observations, which is
larger than the population." I am trying to solve for N.  N in this case is
a sort of effect size.  In this case, it is indeed a simple transformation
of Pillai's V and the p-value for the study, and I do not intend to suggest
that it is anything more than that.  However, I believe that the latter
effect size makes a much more compelling case, given that a lot of people
(such as yourself) don't have much experience with Pillai's V.

--Adam