[R] Plot dagger symbol in R

Rau, Roland Rau at demogr.mpg.de
Thu Jan 29 12:24:00 CET 2009

Dear all,

I would like to plot the dagger symbol in R (like LaTeX's \dagger).
However, I was unable to do so.

First, I thought maybe dagger actually exists just like the degree
symbol:

plot(0:1,0:1, type="n")
text(x=0.5, y=0.5, labels=expression(degree))

plot(0:1,0:1, type="n")
text(x=0.5, y=0.5, labels=expression(dagger))

However, this was not very successful. New hope emerged that I will
succeed when I read the help page (as so often) for ?plotmath.
There I discovered the 'symbol' thing and read that the Adobe Symbol
font encodings are used. The closest thing I could fine, though, was:

plot(0:1,0:1, type="n")
text(x=0.5, y=0.5, labels=expression(symbol("\247")))

But this is obviously not a dagger and it seems the Adobe Symbol font
does not have a dagger.

We also know this :-D

library(fortunes)
fortune("Yoda")

So maybe someone can give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Roland

This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Research.  Should you receive a mail that is apparently from a MPI user without this text displayed, then the address has most likely been faked. If you are uncertain about the validity of this message, please check the mail header or ask your system administrator for assistance.