[R] Graphic device & graphics primitives

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 12:19:50 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Sigbert Klinke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that some graphics devices in R store graphics primitives such that a
> redraw is possible (e.g. when resizing the window). Is it possible to get the
> current number of stored graphic primitives?

That's not what happens: the graphics engine stores a display list for
the current device (if enabled), this being a set of graphics calls.
Devices repaint from either backing store or asking the engine to
replay the display list.

See ?dev.control. There is no public API to the display list, but of
course you can interrogate it by C code, with the usual risks.