[R] Memory issue?

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Jan 27 12:09:00 CET 2009

Daniel Brewer wrote:
> I have a script that sometimes produces the following error:
>
> Error in assign(".target", method at target, envir = envir) :
>   formal argument "envir" matched by multiple actual arguments
>
> Do you think this is a memory issue?  I don't know what else it could be
> as it doesn't always occur even if the script is run with exactly the
> same data.
>
> Does rm() actually free up memory?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Hi,

There are multiple threads on this subject on the R-help list, googling
for "formal argument matched by mutiple actual arguments" lead me to:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/05/08/10698.html

So this is probably not a memory issue. Freeing up memory can be done
using gc().

cheers and hth,
Paul

--