[R] [stats-rosuda-devel] Problem with JGR. Was: Re: Using help()

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jan 26 21:38:05 CET 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 9:35 , Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> Thanks to Rolf Turner, Brian Ripley and Patrick Burns for their
> answers.They don't quite resolve the problem, which I now realize is
> due to non-standard behavior of JGR, at least on my machine (I
> verified that Mac GUI works entirely as expected):
>
> **** My installation********************
> Running the JGR GUI:
> > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
> i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
>
> locale:
> C/C/en_US/C/C/C
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] grid      stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
> methods
> [8] base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] JGR_1.6-2       iplots_1.1-2    JavaGD_0.5-2    rJava_0.6-1
> [5] MASS_7.2-45     lattice_0.17-20

> [1] tools_2.8.1
>
> ********What happens with "?" and "??" **************

"?" is interpreted by JGR (re-mapped to internal call to help followed
by help.search if no topics were found) instead of R. So JGR is
smarter than R used to be, but that has changed in R 2.8.
Unfortunately R has currently no publicly available API to support
what the Mac-GUI does, because it uses a nasty trick by modifying R's
sources to hook inside R. I'm working on fixing this for R 2.9.0-to-
be, but currently JGR is out of luck and has to rely on its own
attempts to parse the command line, so the results will vary until then.

> If I type "?normal" I get the long list, not "No documentation
> found." When I type "?plot" I get the help page for plot {JM}, and
> not plot.default {graphics}; when I type ?dnorm I get a rather long
> list of help pages.
>
> If I type "??normal"
> I get
> ?normal.htm
> .com.symantec.APSock
> .com.symantec.aptmp
> .DM_1039:1232634821l:DlnIrq
> .DM_11869:1232818209l:m4AGyL
> .DM_13345:1232655220l:C1js39
> .DM_14309:1232822090l:e6wvqw
> .DM_15688:1232659145l:ffZvPg
> .DM_16640:1232825979l:n5TrAz
> .DM_18040:1232662823l:Gb81yX
>>
> ******** Another JGR problem **************
>
> Help pages for newly installed packages are accessible only after
> JGR is restarted.

I can see what could cause that, but in theory that should affect all
html-based systems if R really doesn't update the links. I didn't
actually look but it's possible that JGR just needs to call
make.packages.html() -- in effect, try calling that function and if
that solves your problem that's what's it is ...

Cheers,