[R] RCurl unable to download a particular web page -- what is so special about this web page?

Tony Breyal tony.breyal at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:15:20 CET 2009

Hi, i ran your getURL example and had the same problem with
downloading the file.

## R Start..
> library(RCurl)
> toString(getURL("http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07program.html?_r=2"))
[1] ""
## R end.

However, if it is interesting that if  you manually save the page to
your desktop, getURL works fine on it:

## R Start..
> library(URL)
> toString(getURL('file:////PFO-SBS001//Redirected//tonyb//Desktop//webpage.html'))
[1] "\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD
HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN\" \"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd\">
\n<html>\n<head>\n\
[etc...]
## R end.

very strange indeed.I use RCurl for web crawling every now and again
so i would be interested in knowing why this happens too :-)

Tony Breyal