[R] sem package: start values

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 26 03:30:39 CET 2009

Dear Anthony,

>From ?sem:

"If given as NA, the program will compute a start value, by a slight
modification of the method described by McDonald and Hartmann (1992). Note:
In some circumstances, some start values are selected randomly; this might
produce small differences in the parameter estimates when the program is
rerun."

To see exactly what's done, print out the startvalues function.

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology