[R] strip leading 0's

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 25 08:39:32 CET 2009

The only comprehensive way to do this would be to change R's internaal
print mechanisms.  (Note that changing 0. to . breaks the layout:
changing '0.' to ' .' would be better.)

But you haven't told use why you would want to do this.  Leaving off
leading zeroes makes output harder to read for most people, and indded
leading periods are easy to miss (much easier than failing to see that
you were asked not to send HTML mail).

It would be easy for the cognescenti to add an option to R, but I
suspect they all would need a lot of convincing to do so.