[R] Stat textbook recommendations?

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 00:30:00 CET 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Re. ISwR, you might want to take notice that it was originally written
> for a course that used Altman's "Practical Statistics for Medical
> Research". It is, however, a bit wordy for some and glosses rather too
> quickly over the math.
>
> Another popular item for ambitious beginners is Kirkwood and Sterne:
> Essential Medical Statistics. Their notation is a bit maddening (for
> teachers anyway) but they do cover a lot of ground without digging too
> deeply into the math.
>
> If you want more math, beware that what is good, strongly depends on
> your prerequisites. Linear model theory, e.g., gets much easier with
> matrix calculus and nearly trivial if you know about abstract linear
> algebra and projections in N dimensional vector spaces. For relatively
> basic levels, look at booke that are popular for first courses in
> Engineering: Devore, Johnson+Miller+Freund, and probably more.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the recommendations; I'll be sure to look into them.
As you mention, the math level involved in some areas may well be
beyond my current education... I've been a bit stymied by the online
class system here not offering anything beyond the typical Math 105
'math for non-science majors' courses designed to meet the bare
minimum obligatory 5 credit requirement for a degree.  Chris
mentioned some more extensive stat course available elsewhere online;
I may have to start searching for some better general math courses as
well.

Thanks,

Monte