[R] URGENT Requested info for application: R for Windows 1.3.1 (ref: 59282)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 23 22:28:35 CET 2009

Garza, Hortencia [BEELINE] wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I work in export compliance and would like to know if you would please
> answer the questions below in regards to your application, R for Windows
> 1.3.1.  The information I'm requesting is for export compliance.

Before answering such questions, I am quite sure that

- you know that R-1.3.1 has been released 8 years ago (i.e. in 2001
which means it is really ancient),
- you know that we had 15 major releases in the meantime,
- you know that R is licensed under the GPL, it sounds like you include
R in some of your products. Are you sure the stuff you want to export
does not violate the GPL license?
- R is an international project hosted by mirrors around the whole
world, so what do you want to export? And where do you want to export it
to? Mars, Venus, Jupiter or just the Moon? It is already available in
all countries on earth given free internet access is available.

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges