[R] Plot, lines and disordered x and y

Todor Kondic dolichenus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:41:17 CET 2009

Ok, here is a bit more information:

R is version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)

A constructed example:
> x<-c(1,-1,2,-2,3,-3,4,-4,5,-5)
> y<-c(1,0,2,0,3,0,4,0,5,0)
> plot(x,y,type='l')   #bad
> plot(x,y) # this is how it should look like

So what we should see here is a flat y=0 for x<0 and identity for x>0.
Instead, we have a saw-like shape where e.g y(x=-1) is connected to
y(x=1) .

This is of course minor  (actually asymptotically, no annoyance at
all). I am just mentioning it for 'completness' sake and because a
divinely ideal plotting function should cope with data given in any
order.

Cheers!

TK

Cheers,