[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 23 14:48:39 CET 2009

On 1/23/2009 7:38 AM, drflxms wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> unfortunately I did not manage load the rJava package receiving the following
> error-message:
>

>> library("rJava")
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
> kann shared library 'C:/Programme/R/2.8.1/library/rJava/libs/rJava.dll' nicht
> laden:
> LoadLibrary failure:  Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
>
> Error : .onLoad in 'loadNamespace' für 'rJava' fehlgeschlagen
> Fehler: Laden von Paket/Namensraum für 'rJava' fehlgeschlagen
>

> Translation:
> can't load library ... rJava.dll
> LoadLibrary failure: the module was not found

That message comes from Windows, not R, and it's misleading.  It does
not say that rJava.dll was not found, it says that a DLL needed by it is
not found.  It would be helpful if it told you which one.  You should
complain to Microsoft about it.  If rJava.dll had been missing, the
English message would have been

   shared library 'rJava' not found

The pedump utility (in the Rtools set, see
www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools) can tell you what the dependencies are:

pedump -i rJava.dll

shows that it imports things from these dlls:

  R.dll
  KERNEL32.dll
  msvcrt.dll
  jvm.dll

The first 3 are routine; without those R wouldn't work. (Without
KERNEL32.dll, nothing in Windows would work.)  So as Brian said, it's
likely jvm.dll that it can't find, or possibly a DLL that it depends on.
Did you install Java first, as rJava requires?

Duncan Murdoch