[R] Loess fitting with bisquare

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jan 22 20:04:37 CET 2009

If you you use robust fitting (family = "symmetric"), there are (at least)
two sets of weights used (and documented in the Help file): tricube weights
are used to weight the points by their distances from the current point
being estimated; bisquare weights are used in the robust fit to weight by
scaled residual size.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech