[R] How to Run R Programs in a Scheduled Way

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Jan 22 10:57:57 CET 2009

Thorsten Muehge wrote:
> Hello R Experts,
> does anyone know how to run R programs automatically using the window
> scheduler?
>
> I want to run some R programs automatically and make the results available
> via web.

Write some Windows command script (also referred to as batch file) that
calls Rterm with some input file or R CMD BATCH. Then tell your
scheduler to run that file as you like.

For me this worked very well with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. In
Windows Server 2008 64-bit (and hence I guess the same in Vista) I found
that the new scheduler runs R extremely slow (by a factor of roughly 10
if some relevant amount of CPU performance and IO traffic is requested)
so that I decided to moved to a cron implementation. At least, I have
not found any solution for the Windows 2008 task scheduler so far.

Uwe Ligges