[R] Bar Plot ggplot2 Filling bars with cross hatching

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 20 12:25:58 CET 2009

Rolf Turner wrote:
> On 20/01/2009, at 1:46 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>

>> On 19/01/2009 7:36 PM, stephen sefick wrote:
>>
>>> what is your suggestion for distinguishing between many bars without
>>> color?  I have grown up in the time of standarized tests - good or
>>> bad
>>> I never felt nauseous.
>>>
>> Use gray levels or labels.  If "many" is bigger than 5, it's not going
>> to be easy, whatever method you are using.
>>

> 	I disagree.  Grey levels suck; labels are a kludge.  It is an issue
> 	for ``many'' == 2, for which crosshatching works perfectly.

Could you show an example?

There are several BW examples in example(barplot), and the gray ones
look better on screen than the cross-hatched one.  (Not to say it makes
a very good choice of cross-hatching, but I suspect the gray examples
will look better than any 5 cross-hatch patterns.)  I haven't tried
printing the examples, so I'm not sure the gray would reproduce well on
paper; I wouldn't try to print those 5 gray levels on a typical printer.

Duncan Murdoch