[R] Bar Plot ggplot2 Filling bars with cross hatching

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jan 19 23:20:11 CET 2009

I think the fact that the grid package does not support cross-hatching is a feature not a bug (or deficiency), and I hope that this is not "fixed".  Tufte's book (The Visual Display of Quantitative Information) has a section on why cross-hatching should be avoided (unless of course your goal is to induce nausea in the observer rather than convey information).

I would edit Hadley's statement below to say "fortunately there's no way to do this in ggplot2".

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org