[R] reference category for factor in regression

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 19 17:45:54 CET 2009

G'day Jos,

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:52:00 +0000
Jos Elkink <jos.elkink at ucd.ie> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick answer. The problem is not so much the LABOUR
> variable, however, but the AGE variable, which consists of about 5
> categories for which I do indeed not create separate dummy variables.
> But R does not behave as expected when deciding on which dummy to use
> as reference category ...

I guess in this case we need more information.

What is the output of "str(AGE)"?  That should tell you which category
is the reference category.  And which category do you expect to be the
reference category?

Cheers,

	Berwin

Berwin A Turlach                            Tel.: +65 6515 4416 (secr)
Dept of Statistics and Applied Probability        +65 6515 6650 (self)
Faculty of Science                          FAX : +65 6872 3919
National University of Singapore
6 Science Drive 2, Blk S16, Level 7          e-mail: statba at nus.edu.sg
Singapore 117546                    http://www.stat.nus.edu.sg/~statba