[R] Mac OS X / preview.app / fullrefman.pdf

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Mon Jan 19 09:48:37 CET 2009

> when reading R's fullrefman.pdf (available from
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/fullrefman.pdf) in Mac OS X's
> preview.app (version 4.1, on Mac OS 10.5.x), if i try to do a keyword
> search within the document, the indexing step freezes about 2/3 the
> way through the progress bar.  this completely locks up preview.app,
> which has to be killed by terminating the process.
>
> has anyone else experienced this?

Same here (MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.5.6 with Preview
4.1), although it seemed to happen about halfway through the indexing
process for me.  Preview hangs with full CPU load and has to be
killed.  "sample" shows that two threads are waiting for a signal,
while the third thread (the indexer) is busy normalising and "adding"
text regions.

I suppose that Preview has got stuck in an infinite loop, but don't
know how to figure out where in the document this occurs (or what the
root cause might be).  Definitely a bug in Preview, though.

Best,
Stefan

Analysis of sampling Preview (pid 11407) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
     7918 Thread_2503
       7918 start
         7918 NSApplicationMain
           7918 -[NSApplication run]
             7918 -[NSApplication
nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
               7918 _DPSNextEvent
                 7918 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode
                   7918 ReceiveNextEventCommon
                     7918 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
                       7918 CFRunLoopRunInMode
                         7918 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
                           7918 __CFRunLoopDoObservers
                             7918 postQueueNotifications
                               7918 -[NSNotificationCenter
postNotification:]
                                 7918 _CFXNotificationPostNotification
                                   7918 __CFXNotificationPost
                                     7918 _nsnote_callback
                                       7918 -[PVPDFDocument
indexNextChunk:]
                                         7918 -
[PVPDFDocumentOutlineIndexer indexNext]
                                           7918 -[PDFDocument
selectionFromPage:atPoint:toPage:atPoint:]
                                             7916 -[PDFSelection
addSelection:]
                                               4273 -[PDFSelection
normalize]