[R] using virtual memory in R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 12:55:58 CET 2009

Please RTFM, specifically the rw-FAQ and ?"Memory-limits".  The short
answer is that your OS is your problem, and using a decent 64-bit OS
will solve this (so why should the very limited resources of the R
developers be spent working on this?)

People who must use Windows may like to be aware that at least one
64-bit Windows port of R is likely this year, and so think about using
64-bit Windows where appropriate.  That will even help with the
problem below by doubling the address space (as explained in the
rw-FAQ).

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Vishwa Goudar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im using R-2.8.1 on windows vista and have 4GB RAM. Im trying to run LDA
> from the MASS package on a fairly large dataset and keep running out of
> memory ("Cannot allocate vector of size ...)
>
> Ive tried freeing up as much memory as possible with gc(). I tried using the
> ff package but that would need modifications to the way LDA accesses the
> memory mapped data. The error I get is "invalid 'type' (list) for variable
> ..."
>
> Basically, I need someone's help on how I can force R to use the large
> swaths of empty space on my hard drive as virtual memory. As I understand
> it, virtual memory increases the address space. So, why isnt R capable of

Your understanding is completely incorrect.

> using my hard drive. I dont mind the hit in performance. How do I get this
> to work? And if I cant why cant I?

All you need to do is to rewrite your OS and the compiler. Easy for
someone who know better than Microsoft about virtual memory ....