[R] installing mclust and flexmix on linux

Tim F Liao tfliao at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 16 17:18:11 CET 2009

I've been trying to install some R packages such as mclust and flexmix on linux but have had the following error messages.

> I've been trying to install mclust on my notebook which has linpus linux lite os and I have installed R as well as some packages all right.  However, when I tried to install mclust, it gave me the following messages.  Any suggestions?

Tim

++++++++++++++++
 install.packages('mclust','/usr/lib/R/library',destdir='/usr/tmp')
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/mclust_3.1-10.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 231992 bytes (226 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 226 Kb

* Installing *source* package 'mclust' ...
** libs
WARNING: R include directory is empty -- perhaps need to install R-devel.rpm or similar
/usr/lib/R/bin/SHLIB: line 162: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'mclust'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/mclust'
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("mclust", "/usr/lib/R/library", destdir = "/usr/tmp") :
 installation of package 'mclust' had non-zero exit status