[R] basic boxplot questions

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:24:26 CET 2009

dear R experts:

I am playing with boxplots for the first time.  most of it is
intuitive, although there was less info on the web than I had hoped.

alas, for some odd reason, my R boxplots have some fat black dots, not
just the hollow outlier plots.  Is there a description of when R draws
hollow vs. fat dots somewhere?

[and what is the parameter to change just the size of these dots?]

Also, let me show my fundamental ignorance:  I am a little surprised
that the average box boxplot would not show the mean and sdv, too, at
least optionally.  Is there a common way to accomplish this (e.g., in
a different color), or do I just construct it myself with standard R
graphics line() commands?

advice appreciated.

regards,

/iaw