[R] Can't find files after install package (Windows)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jan 15 00:37:46 CET 2009

bcbob43 wrote:
> Phil Spector wrote:
>
>> Unless you issue the statement
>>
>> library(gcl)
>>
>> the gcl package will not be available in the current session.
>> Using demo does not load the package; only library() does.
>>

> I should have mentioned that  I did try that and got the following result:
>
>> library(gcl)
>>
> Error in library(gcl) :
>   'gcl' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?
>

> I have also tried running the code from RGui|File|Source R code...
> This has library(gcl) as the first statement and fails with the same result
>
>> source("C:\\R-2.8.1\\library\\gcl\\demo\\gcldemo2.r")
>>
> Error in library(gcl) :
>   'gcl' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?

That's a risk of the strange way you installed it.  If you use
install.packages (or the menu item that calls it) you'll get a version
that's built for the current R.  You appear to have downloaded an older one.

R offers ways to do things correctly, but doesn't always stop you from
not doing so.

Duncan Murdoch