[R] Dependencies for binaries install of R 2.8.2 under Ubuntu 64 8.1 (Intrepid)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 14 19:22:14 CET 2009

On 14 January 2009 at 12:04, Rob James wrote:
|   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }I
| can't seem to perform an install from CRAN (stat.sfu.ca, specifically)
| for Ubuntu 64 8.1 (Intrepid) and 2.8.2  of R. Here is the log:

[ There is no R 2.8.2 (yet, and maybe ever) but only 2.8.1.  AFAIK there is
  also no "Ubuntu 64 8.1". There the 8.10 release which you seem to be running
  on the amd64 architecture. ]

|  Looks like some dependencies cannot be satisfied.
|  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
|  The following information may help resolve the situation:
|  The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|    r-base-core: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.8~20080505) but 2.7-10ubuntu4 is
| to be installed
|                 Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not
| installable
|                 Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.21.6) but
| 1.20.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
|  E: Broken packages

Could it be that you confused your Ubuntu releases? At work, I happen to be
running Ubuntu 8.10 on amd64 and I do have all those (or newer) versions of
libc6, libgfortran4 and libpange1.0.0 --- along with CRAN binaries of R
2.8.1.

Either you did not really upgrade from earlier Ubuntu versions, or you are
running an earlier versions.  Check what /etc/apt/sources.list has and then
either upgrade your CRAN Ubuntu entry to match your Ubuntu release. or just
pick R 2.8.1 prebuilt for an older Ubuntu release thanks to Vincent and
Michael.

Also, note that there is the r-sig-debian list for questions like this. You
may want to subscribe there and bring your follow-up questions up there,
which may get you prompter replies than at r-help where we may miss Debian /
Ubuntu posts.

Hth, Dirk