[R] Ordinal Package Errors

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Wed Jan 14 19:15:40 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 16:38 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> You need to ask the author (as the posting guide asked you to).
>
> I'm tempted to not help further given the (almost complete) lack of
> cooperation of that author with R's recommendations, but note
> 'ordinal..so' in your log and look for the obvious fix in
> src/Makefile.

I had no idea whether this was a problem with the particular package or
my installation of R. Sometimes you have to ask a question before it's
clear what to do.

I went to /usr/lib/R/library/ordinal/libs and moved "ordinal..so" to
"ordinal.so". This solved the problem. I didn't see anything obvious in
the Makefile (at least, not obvious to me).

There were other things that made installing the ordinal package
difficult. The first is that the file is "ordinal03.tgz". Using

> R CMD INSTALL ordinal03.tgz

won't work because the package name is ordinal, not ordinal03. I tried
renaming but that didn't work, so I untarred it and then did:

> R CMD INSTALL ordinal

This installed the package but then ordinal..so is incorrectly named so
I corrected it as described above.

It would have been a whole lot easier if the package was in the
contributed package repository.

Rick B.