[R] lm: how are polynomial functions interpreted?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Mon Jan 12 23:57:55 CET 2009

Well..... *_* ,

I think it should have been clear that this was not a question for which
any code exists.  In fact, I gave two very specific examples of function
calls.  The entire point of my question was not "what's up with my
(putative) code and data " but rather to try to understand the
overarching philosophy of the way lm() treats the function it's given.

I do understand the sneaky ways to make it do a linear fit with or
without forcing the origin.  And, sure, I could have run a data set thru
a bunch of different quadratic-like functions to try to see what happens.

Let me pick a more complicated example.  The general case of a sin fit
might be Y = a + b*sin(d*x+phi)  .(where, to be pedantic, x is the only
data input. All others are coefficients to be found)

If I try  y<-lm(yin~I(sin(x))), what is the actual fit function?  And so on.

That's why I was hoping for a more general explanation of what lm() does.