[R] problems installing package XML to a computer without an internet connection

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 11 09:03:01 CET 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Bob Green wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am hoping for some advice regarding how I can install the XML package which
> I require to run package tm.
>
> Normally I would use the install package option, however, I have to install
> the packages to a laptop running XP.

Windows, I presume.

> The laptop does not have an internet connection.
>
> Firstly I tried the file -   XML_1.99-0.tar.gz . Below is the error I
> received

What does 'try' mean?  That would work if you used Rcmd INSTALL on it,
or install.packages(type="source").

> Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: In zip.unpack(pkg, tmpDir) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
> 2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
>  cannot open compressed file 'XML_1.99-0.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable
> reason 'No such file or directory'
>
> Then I tried XML 1.96-0.zip (from
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/). Below is the

Why from 2.7?  What version is your R?

> error I received

So that worked: it is 'proxy' you are missing.  From the DESCRIPTION
file

package: tm
Title: Text Mining Package
Version: 0.3-3
Date: 2008-12-20
Author: Ingo Feinerer, with contributions from Christian Buchta, Kurt
Hornik, David Meyer, and Fridolin Wild
Maintainer: Ingo Feinerer <feinerer at logic.at>
Depends: R (>= 2.7.0), filehash, Matrix, methods, Snowball, XML
Imports: proxy
Suggests: Rgraphviz, Rmpi, Rstem (>= 0.3-1), snow

still you may need packages filehash, Matrix, methods, Snowball and
proxy.

I suggest getting those from bin/windows/contrib/2.7/ on CRAN, and
installing from the 'Local zip file' menu optipn.

> Error in loadNamespace(i, c(lib.loc, .libPaths())) :
>  there is no package called 'proxy'
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'tm'
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated,

Read the posting guide, remember to tell us what we asked for 'at a
minumum' and what you actually did.